HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT
AREA OF STUDY: CORE
** Duration: 3 hours
Objectives: The course aims to familiarize the students with the fundamental concepts, approaches and techniques of managing human resources in an organization. It
also aims to acquaint the students with the underlying concepts and techniques of HRM in Nepal.
UNIT 1: Introduction: LH 5
Concept, scope and objective of HRM; Characteristics and functions of HRM;. Personnel vs HRM; The external and internal environment affecting HRM with
special reference to Nepal.
UNIT 2: Human Resource Planning: LH 5
Meaning, objective, importance, HRP process, factors affecting HRP and barriers to HRP, HRP Practices in Nepal.
UNIT 3: Job Analysis and Job Design: LH 5
Concept of job analysis, process of job analysis, methods of data collection for job analysis; Job description and job specification Concept of job
design, factors affecting job design, Techniques of job design.
UNIT 4: Recruitment, Selection and Socialization: LH 6
Recruitment: Concept Sources of manpower, Process, Methods and Factors affecting recruitment. selection: Concept, process, methods and barriers.
Recruitment and selection practices in Nepal. Concept and process of socialization.
UNIT 5: Training and Development: LH 4
Concept of training and development, Importance, process and methods
UNIT 6: Performance Appraisal: LH 4
Concept and process of performance appraisal; methods of performance appraisal: Graphic rating scale, checklist, ranking, paired comparison, management
UNIT 7: Job Evaluation: LH 3
Concept, purpose and methods of job evaluation.
UNIT 8: Compensation: LH 5
Concept, components, determinants, methods of establishing employee compensation; Compensation practices in Nepal.
UNIT 9: Discipline: LH 4
Concept, Causes, Process and Types of disciplinary problems, disciplinary actions.
UNIT 10: Motivation: LH 7
Meaning, Types, Importance, simple model of Motivation, Motivational tools and their application: monetary and non- monetary tools including the
methods of job design- Job Enlargement, Job enrichment and job rotation and quality of work life.
- Dev Raj Adhikari, Fundamentals of Human Resource Management, Kathmandu: Buddha Academic Publishers / Distributors Pvt. Ltd.
- G.R. Agrawal, Foundation of Human Resource Management, Kathmandu: M.K. Publisher and Distributors.
- K Aswathappa, Human Resource and Personnel Management: Text and Cases, New Delhi: Tata McGraw- Hill Publishing Company Limited.
- Devis Decenzo, and P. Robbins Stephen, Personnel / Human Resource Management, New Delhi: Prencice Hall of India Private Limited.
- Gary Dessler, Human Resource Management, New Delhi: Pearson Education Pvt. Ltd.
- S.S Khanka, Human Resource Management: Text and Cases, New Delhi: S Chand and Company Limited.
- C.B Mamoria,. and S.V. Gankar, A Text Book of Human Resource Management, Mumbai: Himalaya Publishing House.
Course Code of the Subject may be In-accurate